Audiogalaxy

I can't say enough good things about the music streaming service Audiogalaxy. While Amazon, Google, and Apple get their act together to create a music streaming service, Audiogalaxy offers everything you need, without a subscription.

"It feels so good." -Blaine Brown
Audiogalaxy works by making music on your computer available on the internet. This does require you to keep a computer on at home running the app. This works well for me since I recently built my family a home media server.



Android and iPhone apps are available and given a reasonable data connection, it works flawlessly. I got my sister to get the app, and soon I will get my parents to do so as well. This way, we can all have our music on one computer (with the huge hard drives) and listen to what we each prefer.

Audiogalaxy also has a "genie" mode, which is similar to Pandora. You seed the playlist with one or a few songs that you like and it keeps the playlist running with related music. The difference is that this is all music on your computer. This has already allowed me to explore the dark corners of my 110GB of music that I've never heard (parts of compilations, lesser popular tracks on albums, etc).



In addition to the mobile apps, Audiogalaxy also offers a web client, encouraging impromptu dance parties where 3G signal cannot be found.

I completely deleted iTunes and all the music from my personal computer and moved it to the Server. It feels so good.

-Blaine

Comments